back
 link to this view 
 view catalogue record 
close

Middle Head defences 1874 photographer Charles Bayliss

Middle Head was part of the ‘outer harbour' defences of Sydney and a series of gun emplacements were constructed along the escarpment. In 1873, the fortifications were strengthened with the arrival of six 18 ton, 10 inch (25 centimetre) rifled muzzle-loading (RML) guns from Britain.Three were unloaded by barge at Blues Point and rolled all the way up to Middle Head and Georges Head, so that at the time of this photograph there were two 18 ton RML guns and eight 68 pounders (30 kilogram projectiles) in place.Two-metre deep trenches cut into the sandstone connected the gun pits to the magazine.

XVi/DEF/MlD H/l three albumen prints 43.5 x158 cm total, Alan Davies, An Eye For Photography, State Library of New South Wales, 2004. See collection record

Viewing Instructions
Click and drag (or tap and drag) to move around. Zoom in/out using the scroll-wheel (or by pinching). Navigation can also be achieved though use of the arrow keys and shift and control on the keyboard, after clicking once on the image.